Starting a new sport or hobby can seem pretty daunting at first, but starting a sport that requires strapping two feet to a board sliding sideways can feel even more risky biscuits! In reality though, everything that board sports offer is a recipe for a great day out! So for those of you umming and ahhing about learning a board sport, we’ve listed what we reckon are 9 massive perks to grabbing a board and getting out there.
- The FREEEDOM (to be shouted in a Scottish accent): Getting away from a stressful 9-5 in the city and leaving all your problems on the shore or bottom of the mountain is a great way to escape a hectic day in the office. Floating around the line up looking out at the ocean, taking in that crisp fresh mountain air as you gaze upon infinite mountain ranges…you get to leave your phone in your bag and find a more peaceful place to get lost in your thoughts.
- Challenging yet super rewarding: Whether you are a beginner or a pro, you never stop learning new tricks and challenging yourself each day, whether it is a small accomplishment or a big one –that victory smile is a tough one to wipe off! It’s hard to beat the feeling you get after landing a trick you’ve been working your butt off to get, especially surrounded by your buddies –you’ll never see a claim like it. It can make your day, week and even a whole season. And it’s not just for yourself, helping a friend out with a new trick is a proud moment, gaining gnar points for sure.
- The natural high: Board sports are all about getting out of your comfort zone and the adrenaline rush you get by either bombing down an empty street on a skateboard, catching a wave, cruising down freshly dumped powder, getting big air off a kicker or off the water…there really is no feeling like it! You’d think you’d get tired of all the ‘yeeeeewww’-ing but no, you never really do.
- It teaches you patience, but once you got it, you got it!: There’s no hiding that board sports can be tricky to learn, especially when you’re using muscles you are not used to exercising. But the great thing about that is the muscle memory you develop, and once you’ve got your head around the balancing, edging, and general feel of being on a board, you never forget!
- Location, location, location: All board sports offer unique places to visit and explore, from incredible snowy mountains, never ending beaches with boundless views of the ocean, infinite windy roads to skateboard down…board sports can take you to some incredible places that offer views for dayz.
- It’s a great excuse to book a holiday: There are always new places to explore when you have a board, from different ski resorts with great parks, beaches with legendary waves, a new cable with super fun rails…you never get bored with a board. And what a way to get the family and friends together for a fun holiday.
- The fitness: Most board sports are physically demanding, and provide a full body work out. The more you progress, the more you will tend to maintain a healthier lifestyle. Also, escaping to the mountains or the sea is some of the best medication you can get. No seriously, it is. There have been new studies that prove how getting fresh air and spending time outside has significant health benefits.
- The sheer fun of it: There’s a reason bro! is founded on the concept of having fun and shredding with your buddies…because it’s hard not to! A day out on the board with your mates is contagiously fun, once you’ve done it there’s rarely a time you want to go back out on your own. From floating around and chatting on the line up, catching a lift up the mountain talking about the next slope to head for, walking back to the cable after stacking on the same kicker…it’s definite bonding time. Sharing a passion for a sport is a special thing, watching one of you mates stack it is even more special. And even in competitive environments, there is never any hard feelings –everyone is literally always stoked for one another’s achievements, always pushing each other to reach their own goals.
- And most importantly… A beer tastes even better after a day out riding.