bro! was founded on the core principals of having fun and riding with your buddies, whether in the mountains or on the water, and as an outdoor company we fully understand the importance of supporting the preservation of the environment that we are lucky enough to call our playground.
Progressing towards being an eco-friendly brand isn’t always straightforward (indeed it’s hard to claim eco-friendly credentials when producing clothing on the whole), but here at bro! we have started making changes with long-term benefits which we see as being invaluable; we are committed to improving and innovating our product range to minimize the impact that we have on the environment.
In the last few years we have made significant changes from the manufacturing of our products to how they arrive with you on your doorstep, all with sustainability in mind. We would love to share the progress that we have made so far, and our future plans with you:
- Our biggest eco-achievement to date is without doubt the release of our new ShredShell™ hoodies, let’s take a look at some of the features that make this product our eco-friendly pièce de résistance:
- Firstly, the ShredShell has a 100% recycled polyester outer shell fabric, made from one of the biggest environmental issues today – used plastic bottles! (This outer shell is then bonded with a water-proof membrane and a toasty warm fleece lining, giving the garment a final composition of 39% recycled fiber – we’re working hard with our suppliers to increase that percentage for future seasons).
- Secondly, this recycled outer-shell fabric is treated with an eco-friendly PFC Free DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating! This may sound like gibberish… so let me break it down for you. PFC refers to per- and poly-fluorinated chemicals that are completely man made and used across many industrial areas, especially for outdoor textiles to make them waterproof and stain resistant. PFC is bad news for the environment, it is a pollutant that does not break down and can also be harmful to our health…scary stuff. So to avoid this pretty nasty chemical, we’ve replaced it with BIONIC-FINISH ECO, an environmentally friendly solution that is fluorocarbon free!
- And the cherry on the cake for this water-resistant softshell hoodie is the complete elimination of plastic packaging from A to B. Our ShredShell hoodies leave the factory in paper bags and are packed in cardboard boxes for shipping. They land on your doorstep as so! BYE-BYE SINGLE USE PLASTIC!
- With that last point in mind, one
of our biggest targets is to eliminate the use of plastic bags in our wider supply
chain. For any customer who has recently shopped with us, you may have noticed
that your bro! orders will now always arrive on your doorstep in a paper
mailing bag or carboard box rather than a plastic mailing bag. A change that we
proudly made in early 2019. We are also working with our other manufacturers to
find alternatives for the recyclable polybags which some products are packaged
in as standard. We are currently testing paper bags, cloth bags and bio-degradable
options. And we plan to implement these across our 2020 collections.
- We also aim to reduce our carbon footprint by choosing to use ocean and road freight rather than air freight when shipping our products to the UK from their manufacturing origin. Although using sea & road transportation can take longer, CO2 emissions from these methods are significantly lower than when using aviation transport, and in our eyes definitely worth it!
- Another target is to start using more organic cotton and recycled fibers across our product range. We already used 100% organic cotton for the majority of our tees this year, and we plan to bring organic cotton options into our hoodie & sweatshirt collections for 2020. Organic cotton is a much more sustainable option to regular cotton, it protects the environment whilst also creating super sort, comfy and long lasting material.
Our goal is to make all of our products as eco-friendly as possible, producing clothing consciously and with less of an environmental impact. While continuing to deliver high quality equipment that ensures you stay stoked on the mountain, beach, or wherever your next shred-mission takes you!